Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Applesauce & Cinnamon Ornaments

This one was messier than I remembered it being.  I've made applesauce dough before and well, I must have done it without the help of little hands.  This was messy.  But fun.  And it smells good. 

It's simple to make: just mix equal parts applesauce and a spice.  We used cinnamon.  Each kid mixed 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup cinnamon.  But then we added more cinnamon because the dough seemed too wet.  And messy. 

Rather than use a rolling pin we just used our hands to push the dough flat on some waxed paper.  More fun.  More mess. 

Then the kids had a free for all with the cookie cutters.  We had bells, bones, trains, angels, trees, and a whole bunch of other things.  Some on top of each other.  A lot didn't survive, either because I couldn't tell what they were or where they were.  Plus, I couldn't move a lot of the cut-outs without breaking them and finally gave up. 

We used a straw to put a hole in the top of the ornaments.  At least I told the kids to put them at the top.  That didn't always happen.  Oh well.  It was fun.  And messy. 

Some other ornaments bit the dust later on.  The pieces are in a vase next to the tree making our whole house smelly nummy (aka yummy). 

We managed to get a few of the ornaments strung up with string and a bead.  And a few more have broken.  And the dog has licked two. 

Now that's what memories are made of! 

What memories are you making this Christmas season?

1 comment:

  1. What a fun idea! I've seen this idea before but had forgotten about it until now and haven't ever made it. That would be fun to do with the boys.

    When I was reading your comment on my blog about Macy's, I mentioned to my husband that I think it's so strange that I was looking for a review on the furniture, I found your blog, and it turns out you're from Apple Valley. Not that we're going to start naming friends off, but the chance of us having at least acquaintances in common is quite high. Small world. :)

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. Comments will be moderated eventually. Computer use only occurs when kiddos are asleep or otherwise occupied. Thanks for your patience.

Related Posts with Thumbnails