Tuesday, March 23, 2010

DIY Easy Shelves and Brackets

Oh my! It’s been a hectic few weeks. But finally, finally, I get to show the how-to for our simple shelves and brackets we put up in our bathroom.

You could buy these somewhere. I used these IKEA ones as inspiration. But you can build them for cheaper and make it a fun family project also. Or just buy them.  Just Shelf It!

Here’s the before:

Here’s the after:

Here’s the goods…..

Items needed:

1x2, 10 feet long
1x8, 6 or more feet long
wood glue
nails or screws
4 large keyhole hangers

What to do (for 4 brackets and 2 shelves):

Step 1: Cut the 1x2 for your brackets. I cut 4 pieces at 9 inches, 4 at 6 inches, and 4 with 45 degree mitered angles that are 8.5 inches from the longest ends. (I’m not a woodworker, so I’m just using normal terms.) Biker Boy and I used a hand saw and one of those $7 plastic mitre boxes from Home Depot.


Step 2:  We used wood glue and a brad nailer to assemble the brackets. Using a wood chisel, make an area for the keyhole hangers. (We get by with limited tools.)  We used keyhole hangers because there wasn't a big enough area to get our drill through the bracket to screw it to the wall.


Step 3: Cut 1x8 to length. We cut 2 boards at 25 inches long.

Step 4: Sand, prime, sand, and paint boards.


Step 5: Measure carefully, use a level, and drill your holes for the anchor screws to use with the keyhole hangers. Measure carefully. (As in measure at least twice.) Hint…try to hit at least one stud. I used the studfinder (not Biker Boy) to find the studs and my real stud was able to hit one with his trusty drill.

Don’t forget to get your littlest helpers involved. (See how to get little ones involved in home projects here.)

Step 6: Admire. If you’re me……do a Happy Dance. (Especially since I designed the shelves. My mathmatics astound me sometimes. I know…I’m just a novice, but I’m still happy dancing. Thanks for the encouragement!)


Step 7: Put stuff on it. Ours are totally utilitarian. Toilet paper and a basket full of necessities. Yep. Feel free to d├ęcor yours however. I tried shells and decory things on the shelves, but decided I liked them plain better. Because really…..it’s the master bath…mostly it’s just Biker Boy and I who use it. And the cat. Yep, the litter box is next to our toilet. (Oh, that’s another story as to why that’s there now. Yuck. Three words…poop eating dog.)


So, let me know….how do you shelve it? Buy, build, admire?

What’s on your shelf?  Thanks for stopping by!

I'm linking this to:


DIY Day @ ASPTL






1 comment:

  1. Love the shelves, simple and perfect! Your pup was so cute as he was sitting there admiring your painting skills:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. Comments will be moderated eventually. Computer use only occurs when kiddos are asleep or otherwise occupied. Thanks for your patience.

Related Posts with Thumbnails