Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Another Shadowbox Project - Coins

Spoons, stamps, and coins! Oh my!

I went into the depths of our closet again for another shadow box project. This time I emerged with some foreign coins and even found some cat barf that was about petrified. Lucky finds. I took the coins and left the barf. (I eventually cleaned it up.)

With my trust 50% off shadow box from Hobby Lobby I set about displaying some of the foreign and old coins that have been given to us by family members or accumulated in our travels. Does a Camp Snoopy token from the Mall of America count? I guess that wouldn’t be “travel” if we actually lived there. (Little trivia….did you know I worked at the Williams-Sonoma in the Mall of America during holiday season while in high school?) Oh, there's also a Wall Drug coin in there too.

Okay…on to the shadow box.

I gathered the coins I was going to use and practiced with them.

As usual….no plan….I did it by the seat of my pants. I laid those coins out till I had a “plan” I was happy with.


Then came the hot glue part. It’s hard to hot glue in a dry environment. You have to have that baby super hot!

I found I couldn’t glue the coin and then lay it down. It got hard and wouldn’t stick. Luckily the glue just peels off the back of the coins nicely.

I had to tilt the coin up from its place of honor, slap the glue on fast, and slap the coin down fast. Tah dah! I wouldn’t recommend a surgeon that does that. Thankfully I’m not one.

Then it was just matter of putting the shadow box back together and then hanging it.

I hung it in our dining room. Along with the spoon shadow box I did awhile back and an empty one that I have yet to fill. That one is still empty. But I have plans for a family memory shadow box.

I used a level and a long straight edge ruler and hung those puppies all by myself. No help. I know….nothing spectacular….but I still Happy Dance. I even got all décory and hung them at the same level as my floating shelves on the other side of the window. Plus they match the look of my white IKEA Lack floating shelves. And the black background matches the black accents in the kitchen of my open floor plan house. I can BS décory stuff, even though I have no idea what I’m doing when I decorate. *hee, hee* In all honesty, I have no idea what I’m talking about and could probably use a lot of help. Oh well. At least I have fun!






















So there you have it....another personal "art" project.  You can check out my posts about the spoon shadowbox here and my old stamp frames here.  Thanks for stopping by and checking this out!  Enjoy! I'd love to hear what you've done with a shadowbox!
Be sure to check out all the wonderful creations and their talented creators at:








DIY Day @ ASPTL




2 comments:

  1. LOL I know it's an old post, but this is a great idea. I have a small container full of old coins from a trip to Europe back in 1997 when I was in high school. They are just in the garage and I haven't been sure what to do with them. This is it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see whatever you come up with! Good luck! And thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it. Comments will be moderated eventually. Computer use only occurs when kiddos are asleep or otherwise occupied. Thanks for your patience.

Related Posts with Thumbnails